BAKING POWDER (indefinite) = ½ tsp cream of tartar, ¼ tsp baking soda, ¼ tsp corn starch
BROTH – Canned Broths, Bouillon Granules or Cubes (1 tsp or 1 cube, mixed with 1 c water makes an easy broth), or Condensed broths diluted.
CHOCOLATE (unsweetened 1 square) = 3 T. cocoa + 1 T butter
CORNSTARCH 1 ½ tsp = 1 T flour
EGG 1 whole = 2 T dehydrated eggs plus 1 ½ T water
SOUR CREAM 1 cup = 1 c milk + 1 ½ T vinegar
WHITE FLOUR 1 cup = ¾ c whole wheat flour, or 1 cup corn meal
YEAST 1 package = 1 T yeast
BUTTER – 1 lb shortening + ½ tsp salt + 1 2/3 c condensed milk.
- Whip the shortening and salt until light. Add the condensed milk a little at a time and blend.
- 1/3 c water, ½ c butter powder, 1 T vegetable oil (optional) – combine and add vegetable oil for more flavor.
SHORTENING OR BUTTER 1 cup = 2/3 c vegetable oil
BUTTERMILK = 1 c water, 1/3 c dry milk, 1 Tb vinegar or lemon juice.
- Let sit 5 min, best if you let sit for 18-20 hours. Stir & refrigerate.
- 1 c milk + 1 T vinegar or 1 T lemon juice
CONDENSED MILK = ½ c hot water, 1 c sugar, ¼ c dry milk, 1 c water.
- Place in canning jar with lid & shake.
CONDENSED MILK (Eagle Brand) –
- ½ c hot water (not boiling), 1 c + 2 T powder milk, ¾ c sugar, 2 T butter
Put hot water and dry milk in a deep narrow bowl. Mix until all milk is dissolved. Add sugar and butter and mix until dissolved. Store in refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Prepared Homemaker – ½ c. cold water, 1 1/3 c. dry milk, ¾ c. sugar, 1 t. vanilla. – Heat water and dry milk over medium heat until steaming. Mix in sugar and stir till dissolved. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Refrigerate till cool before using. Makes 1 1/3 c. or 10 oz.
- Eagle Brand – 1 c hot water, 1/3 c corn syrup, 1 2/3 sugar, ¼ tsp vanilla, pinch of salt, ½ c butter, 2 c dry milk.
Place all ingredients except butter in canning jar with lid and shake until well blended. Gradually add the butter and shake each time until well blended.
EVAPORATED MILK = 1 ½ c. warm water, 1 c. powdered milk, 2 T. butter
HALF & HALF 1 cup = 3 T butter & about 7/8 cups milk
HEAVY CREAM 1 cup = ¾ c milk 1/3 c butter
SKIM MILK = 1 c water + ¼ c dry milk
WHOLE MILK 1 cup = ½ c evaporated milk + ½ c water
- 1 c reconstituted powdered milk w/ 2 T butter
- 1 c water + 1/3 c dry
- Heat on low until butter is just melted, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and cool.
- Whipped Evaporated Milk – Thoroughly chill 1 c evaporated milk. Whip until stiff. Sweeten with sugar. About 3 cups.
BROWN SUGAR 1 cup = 1 c sugar + 1 tsp molasses
CORN SYRUP = 2 c. sugar, ¾ c. water, ¼ t. Cream of Tartar, Pinch of Salt
- Combine in pan, bring to boil, stir constantly. Reduce heat and simmer. Cover for 3 minutes. Uncover and summer, stirring often until beginning to form soft balls when water tested (235-240 F). Cool and store at room temperature. Keeps 2 months.
DARK BROWN SUGAR (almost 1 lb.) = 3 c. sugar, ½ c. molasses
GOLDEN BROWN SUGAR (about 1.5 lbs) = 6 c. sugar, ½ c. molasses
HONEY 2/3 c = 1 c sugar + 1/3 c water
LIGHT BROWN SUGAR (exactly 1 lb.) = 4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. molasses
POWDERED SUGAR 1 cup = blend to powder 1 c sugar & ½ t cornstarch
SUGAR 1 cup = ¾ c honey, reduce liquid ¼ c or add ¼ c flour
- 1 c molasses
- 1 ½ carob syrup
- 1 ¼ malt syrup
SYRUP = 1 c water + 2 c sugar (boil until dissolved), add ½ tsp maple flavor
- Use Corn Syrup for thicker syrup
GREEN PEPPER 1 medium = ¼ c dehydrated green peppers
ONION 1 medium = ¼ c dehydrated onion