There always seems to be chili cook-offs popping up, so I thought I would help prepare you for the next one that comes your way. This recipe won last years neighborhood cook-off and has been a favorite of ours since! Not only will this bowl of deliciousness help you win a blue ribbon, but it’s also a great meal to add to your food storage repertoire.
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1 onion (diced) – Opt. Freeze-Dried Onions
3 garlic cloves
1/2 green bell pepper (diced) – Opt. Freeze-Dried Bell Peppers
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup water
14 oz can of kidney beans
14 oz can of pinto beans
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp cumin
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
* A dash of cinnamon, curry, and oregano
The cinnamon can add a really great and unique flavor, but use it sparingly, no more than 1-2 sprinkles.
- Brown the ground beef, Italian sausage, onion and garlic in skillet.
- In a separate pot, add all the other ingredients and mix together over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Then add the meat mixture in once it’s browned up and you’ve drained the fat.
- Let it all simmer for 30 minutes or so.